Search This Blog

Saturday, September 15, 2018

Pet Sitting

      

             In the summer of 2015 our home had no AC, our struggles were in getting a good night sleep and so I slept a lot out in the living room on the couch. I had my cats and dogs to worry about while also never crowding my husband as he studied in law school. I was impressed by how creative I was in creating a cooler home as much as possible. My husband's friend who often spent time chilling out at our place late into the night would ask "How do you guys stand it? This heat isn't letting up!" 


In that Summer I was very busy, up early cooking for the day ahead and since all the windows and screen door stayed open I had to be able to touch Oscar when he barked out into all hours of the night. A family of 6 raccoons woke us up one night, Oscar had been asleep at my feet on the couch then his fear of "what the hell is that?" has it's own kind of bark that I shot up to my feet to investigate. Not having AC did allow me to be a bigger part of nature, sometimes I would go out into the back yard on the grass and sleep as the dogs would join me, we were clearly miserable with bugs and night life all around us as we tried to find some cool breeze out there. 
When my husband Tony and his buddy were sitting around the fire pit one night with beers I was bringing out my blanket to sleep and they were both laughing at me. I explained how this house is very much like camping!  Then Tony's friend asked us to house sit for the weekend as the temperatures were reaching over 100 degrees, he added "You will have AC and HBO." I was a bit worried at first packing up my 3 dogs to merge with his 3 dogs for 3 days......
It was wonderful to notice as all the dogs met in their backyard for the first time that the greetings were playful and happy! Not one single dog fight, not one single growl in the whole pack for the whole weekend! I was very impressed and very grateful.
It was like we were just one big family, every dog had it's own personality, it's own way of being yet they all seemed grateful to be together like that. I would lay on the grass outside or on the floor inside so they could play over me or nap on my back, it was such a fun weekend with them like that!

It was such a hot hot summer weekend too, we were up early and outside before the heat kicked in, then we would napped away the afternoons in the magical AC, I loved just being there resting so much! Having those 6 dogs in my arms all at once was truly wonderful! And I knew I would remember it always.....

Yesterday one of those dogs passed away, the first one of those 6 pups on that weekend together.....Our friend's dog Otto.
I've been in tears, lost in memories of him, sweet little Otto who shared my pillow with my little Sidda as our 3 heads snuggled in for a good night's sleep I knew life was simply perfect in that moment of time. I knew it then for I smile now in remembering....

While my heart always knows that these little souls don't last forever, that's why being with them as much as possible is so very important. I will always remember that weekend of togetherness, for it was one of a kind, 6 dogs like that for 3 days in happiness of perfect peacefulness! Otto, Ernie, Andy, Oscar, Sidda and Minnie with us for the weekend was a wonderful time to cherish!

6 dogs moved around as I read in bed, I looked up from my book to see my husband Tony shaking his head "Look at this, they are all right beside you at once, I guess there's no room for me." I laugh back saying "I know I love it!" He chuckled while saying "Don't get any ideas, 3 dogs is enough I can just see ya thinking "If 6 dogs can get along so well then we can find more!?!" I nodded cleverly.
Tony laughed as he left to go find his own place to sleep then eventually Otto would go find him so they would share the couch together. So that Otto had to make sure we were all together safe through out the night in his home, in his good watchful care.
Goodbye to Sweet sweet Otto.

No comments:

Post a Comment