Search This Blog

Saturday, September 1, 2018

Derek's Peach Tree

It's September 1rst again, on this day one year ago we moved into Derek's home.

One year ago on this very morning I got up early surrounded by boxes and freshly brewed coffee, with pets going in and out under the lovely fresh morning sky. I cried.

I cried so much, for so long as I could see him in the sun light beams in his very own kitchen again. I wished he was here more then unpacking any box or doing any project!

"Dearest Brother it was never suppose to be like this, not ever like this. Come home, Come home."

I walked out to his beloved peach tree drinking my coffee in my deep sadness and looked back at my new home. I will do whatever I can to keep this place as nice as possible and as well kept into the future! 
I will live side by side with his stories, his things and his fruit trees.
I will honor him, I will talk to him as if he is just right here again and I will cherish these days of such great pain, great sorrow and great memories.

One year ago feels like a really long long long time has passed by now but it's just 12 months.
I am realizing after every death I face I simply loose time, that 3 weeks will honestly feel like one day.
I am understanding more on how and why old people were like that when I was kid. They would be completely surprised by the fact I remembered it was a month since last I saw them but they would say "I thought it was last week." I would laugh at them thinking that was funny to think that but now I do that all the time.  A friend texts me and when I finally reply I feel like an hour had gone by but really it was weekend! Then I laugh at myself and wonder if we survive more tragic things will we loose complete understanding of time in the end?

I love these peaches so much! I set up my morning with music and I pull my hair back as I tie my apron on and spend the whole lovely day in the kitchen creating such magic from my brother's peaches!

Derek arrived at my home in Boise on such a lovely August night in 2016 with a box of such huge and beautiful peaches, He had baked a fresh peach pie as well saying he could get me more next week if I was going to be out by his place in Meridian and I laughed at his excitement as he shared how he was fixing his place, how he loved this peach tree in his backyard and I suggested "Well then maybe we could have Thanksgiving at your place this year and see it all?" He nodded and smiled replying "Yeah maybe if I can get it in shape."  Those peaches were so good, and we talked about all kinds of recipes for them that night.....I was truly thrilled to bring food over that Thanksgiving and have us all together. For I was very happy that holiday Derek had baked a Peach pie with huckleberries that I truly loved as our last holiday unfolded.


This is Derek's peach tree coming back to life, back to harvest time once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment