Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Living in the Old and the New

Last week sure flew by, as I accompanied my friend Jess to Pocatello Idaho. She needed company for a week so we stayed in a cute basement home with a nice kitchen that we could cook all our meals there.

I was impressed by Pocatello with so many old buildings, so much history among the mountains and beautiful country side.

I was noticing the old and the new all swirling around in that town, We went shopping downtown one day and discovered some fun thrift shops and antique stores.
One antique store was huge! With 3 stories full of time traveling items, with the browsing and the walking I enjoyed a break at the coffee shop that reminded me of the treasure valley's Flying M.

I think that when the old was once new it was vibrant and hopeful so now I wonder if what we build is new for today would last as long as these first buildings for a town? The time I enjoyed walking around was delightful and reflective.
I saw so many things my Grandma and my mother had owned while I was growing up but I am not into stuff, not into collectibles so I see these things on the shelf as time stands still.
I would think everything we chase to purchase, everything we spend our hard earned money on will one day be put on the shelf for half the cost. I am left very hopeful for the future in being better at consuming and saving, realizing making money to but new things is rather fertile.
I am grateful for thrift shops, for recycling and creativity in reusing the same old item into something new.

I would love to live in a small old town, this feeling came to me while staying in Pocatello for a week, I guess it's a part of who I have always been.

In our last night we went out to a yummy steak house that was once an old hotel, this new way of using the space with wine tastings and fun menu items made me truly enjoy the evening. 

As we left Pocatello in the morning on April 6th I was also left thinking how funny to be in the very town my husband was born in on that day 38 years ago....
The old and the new are always with us. 
For we all live for awhile with everything new to us and then slowly everything grows old. 

I am left in awe of that bitter sweet realization.



No comments:

Post a Comment