Search This Blog

Monday, March 9, 2015

Into Clever Foods

       It's been a struggle to not have a single cocktail or alcoholic beverage in 30 days, especially since it's apart of our social outings meeting up with friends for happy hour during a busy week or BBQing over the weekend....no alcohol for the Whole 30 didn't seem like a big deal at first then suddenly a couple of weeks into it there was all kinds of drinking choices so I am glad for the break but I appreciate the flavor of such drinks now, in this last week I've had 2 beers but it's the tail end of the whole 30 and on one early Saturday morning I had a small breve latte so there was a bit of dairy in my diet after all.....The cleverness in cooking up a different meat every night and adding in a different veggie has been fun, at first it was hard not to pile on sour cream or yogurt or any cheese at all for that matter then wishing to whip up cream for fresh berries was deflating as dessert with cream has such beauty to it!  ALL of this has shown me how we get stuck in a rut on our scheduled meals....Doing the whole 30 has reminded me how to break out of the comfortable mold and create new ideas with no alcohol, no sugar, no dairy, no grains or corn of any kind....yet everything taste so different when I go back to some of these things again....just like when I cut out bread all together from my life having in once in awhile ONLY if it's the best quality isn't as harmful and it never taste quite like I remembered.
Starting the whole 30 I roasted a goose, then made bone broth from the left overs. I've been drinking a hot cup of broth every night just before bed to warm up and calm down. These are the last of the winters days so such comfort as a hot cup of broth helps me not crave sugary foods so late in the night. We have had salmon, shrimp, pork chops, steaks, pot roast, chili verda, hamburgers, buffalo steaks, shredded pork, sausages big and small, and (my favorite) raw oysters in the half shell. This variety every day and along side kale, cabbage, asparagus, roasted tomatoes, beet salad and sweet potato casserole we have been really enjoying eating at home staying away from all the other temptations of dessert or drinks!
At first in the whole 30 I was craving such sweetness so I would slice up citrus and eat them like candy, then I would eat a bowl of berries until slowly I wasn't craving any kind of sugar distraction after dinner any more....I also now make jello from scratch since I am allergic to those fast box mixes with artificial sweeteners. With real fruit juice brought to a boil I also bloom the gelatin separately  then stir into a mold maybe adding vitamin C to it as well and chilling until later for a nice fun healthier dessert choice! Gelatin is sooooooo good for your hair, teeth and nails that I really needed this kind of focus of the Whole 30 to get me back in line with my healthier self! 

Making clever foods allows such joy in understanding what you are eating and how cozy being a homemaker really is! I took 2 hamburger patty off the BBQ the other night and made my husband his favorite kind of hamburger style with no bread buns it was filled with freshly mashed up avocados and salsa! Truly so beautiful that I took this picture of it OF COURSE, 



So remember to EAT RIGHT for the BEST time in your LIFE.


No comments:

Post a Comment